Clarifying how things work
Blackfire works on the back-end. “Profiles” are measurements of PHP processes (HTTP, CLI, daemons), which are automatically instrumented by the use of a special Blackfire HTTP header, or by the use of our SDK.
The Blackfire stack on Magento Cloud
Blackfire's stack includes two components which need to be installed on the client servers: the Probe (a PHP extension), and the Agent (daemon).
In Magento Cloud, only the Probe requires some configuration. The Probe is installed by default in all containers. The Agent is maintained solely by Magento.
In order to have Blackfire fully up-and-running, there are a couple of mandatory steps:
- To have requested Magento to activate Blackfire on Staging and production branches
- To have configured the “server credentials” on Magento Cloud machines (integration, staging and production)
- To have configured the integration web-hooks, so that profiling starts automatically each time an environment is redeployed (integration, staging and production)
- To have configured any system on the way between the Blackfire servers and the Magento Cloud machines so that Blackfire request hit the server: firewall, proxies, CDNs,…
- Fastly must be configured properly to let Blackfire profile on your servers. Only Magento/Platform.sh can fix this (please reach out to their support);
- For some customers, it happened that other systems than Fastly were used (CloudFlare,…). Each system on the way between Blackfire and the machines must let Blackfire through;
- A common last mile issue is to get builds with the following error: “SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate Download failed on /”. Here is a guide to quickly fix it;
- You might see a warning on some profiles saying "This profile was generated with and outdate Blackfire probe". You can safely discard it. It only means that we released a new version of the probe, and we recommend that people update it.
If this guide doesn't help, don't hesitate to reach out to us via the chat window on this site or via firstname.lastname@example.org